PDA

View Full Version : Celestials Website - Reloaded you might say

magicpoe
05-15-2007, 03:32 AM
It might be worth the time to checkout Celestials website. They've been busy with it. Even a video on the remastering process.

You can do search on their catalog here:

www.celestialpictures.com...search.cfm (http://www.celestialpictures.com/level2_search.cfm)

Plot synopsis, stills, and other info is available with the search feature.

sevenhooks
05-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up!
I'm well impressed actually.
Will be quite usefull when finished I think.
Although this is something that would have suited them a lot better 4 or 5 YEARS ago, NOT at the very end of their release schedule.
Ah, well.

First thing I noticed...
NO record whatsoever of To Kill a Mastermind or Revenge of the Corpse.
Every other title I could think of, released yet on disc or not could be found on their seach engine by merely typing the first letter of a title.
But not those two.
It's as if they never existed in the Shaw catalog before.
Not a good look at all.

5th Yang
05-15-2007, 05:13 AM
Yeah thats the first thing I checked also but no luck.

Thanks for the link.

5th Yang

Live Wire
05-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Thanx for the nice link.
I checked Kid with the golden Arm. They stated a duration of only 81 Minutes. Does that mean it will be heavily cut?

gfanikf
05-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Neither is Hong Kong God Fathers or This Man is Dangerous.

Ivy Ling Po
05-15-2007, 06:10 AM
The films that you guys cannot find will NOT be remastered and released by Celestial.

The films you can find are the ones in my Celestial catalogue.

I hate to say I told you so......

Now there's no hope for Seeding Of A Ghost, Revenge Of The Corpse, Hellgate, Deadly Angels, Dark Rendezvous, Mission Impossible and countless other classics I enjoyed as a kid.

sevenhooks
05-15-2007, 06:16 AM
I hate to say I told you so......

I hate for you to say it too!

Unfortunately, I never doubted you.

Live Wire
05-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Whats with The Black Enforcer, will this one also not be a released?

Ivy Ling Po
05-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks fo reminding me of Black Enforcer. Unfortunately this 1972 Ho Meng Hua actioner was not selected for release.

TanTao2
05-15-2007, 08:18 AM
...best thing is these Celestial people talk about COMPLETE SHAW BROTHERS FILM COLLECTION...Blablablabla...they lost their face another time...:rollin

Markgway
05-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Are these films lost or beyond repair?

Why would Celestial remaster hundreds upon hundreds of movies and then select a handful for arbitrary exclusion?

Makes no sense.

There must be more to it.

Ling Po -- can you supply a list of what's missing so I can keep an eye out for boots. Thx.

Ivy Ling Po
05-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Markgway, that's a lot of work so it will take time.
But I will do it gradually, OK?

kermit
05-15-2007, 10:09 AM
A couple of the titles mentioned in this thread HAVE been remastered. I'm sure they'll get released by someone at some point.

mahsingyi
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Here is a list of titles that will be missed a lot:

AVENGERS FROM HELL
BANDITS, THE
BATTLE FOR THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA, THE
BEWITCHED
BLACK ENFORCER, THE
CHAMPION, THE
CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS
COBRA GIRL
DARK RENDEZVOUS
DARK SEMESTER
DEADLY ANGELS
DIVORCE HONG KONG STYLE
GAMBLING SYNDICATE, THE
GANG OF FOUR, THE
GOURD FAIRY, THE
HELLGATE
HONG KONG GODFATHERS
HUSTLER FROM CANTON
IMPERIAL TOMB RAIDERS, THE
I WILL FINALLY KNOCK YOU DOWN, DAD
LONG ROAD TO FREEDOM
LOVERS BLADES
MERCIFUL SWORD, THE
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
NIGHT OF THE DEVILS BRIDE, THE
PAYMENT IN BLOOD
PSYCHOPATH, THE
REDBEARD
RETURN OF THE DEAD
REVENGE OF THE CORPSE
RIPPLES
SEEDING OF A GHOST
SHADOW GIRL
STRANGER IN HONG KONG
TEMPERAMENT OF LIFE (Ti Lung, David Chiang, Ku Feng, Yueh Hua, R: Cheng Kang)
THIEF OF THIEVES
THIS MAN IS DANGEROUS
THOUSAND YEARS FOX
TIGER BOY
TO KILL A MASTERMIND
WELL OF DOOM, THE
WINGED TIGER
YOUNG HEROES OF THE STREET, THE

Plus Non-Rights:
BLOOD MONEY
LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES
SHATTER
SUPERMAN AGINST THE ORIENT
VIRGINS OF THE SEVEN SEAS

Live Wire
05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
The Winged Tiger is listed on the above mentioned Celestial Webpage. So there is some hope I hope.

Ivy Ling Po
05-15-2007, 11:10 AM
The Winged Tiger is not in my release catalogue.
Sigh.

TanTao2
05-15-2007, 11:37 AM
...just add:
The Boxers
Crazy Nuts Of Kung Fu
The Big Fellow
Bank Busters
Magic Ring
Every Man for Himself
Third Hand
Thunderclap
and many more...:eek

TanTao2
05-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Cobra Girl=Fangs Of The Cobra will be released...:D

mahsingyi
05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
yup...sorry...finally found it! "THE WINGED TIGER" is indeed on Celestial's site...
However..."The Cobra Girl" is NOT the drama flick "Fangs of a Cobra" but as I recall a Wu Xia Flick fom 1971 starring Lily Li...;O)

Live Wire
05-15-2007, 11:50 AM
There are already stills (of the remasterd versions I think) of Five Element Ninjas, Heads for Sale, Lady of Steel, The Pirate and Shaolin Rescuers. IMO the only possible reason for that could be a release date soon after August.

Le Peril Jaune
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Now there's no hope for Seeding Of A Ghost, Revenge Of The Corpse, Hellgate, Deadly Angels, Dark Rendezvous, Mission Impossible and countless other classics I enjoyed as a kid.

And Red Lantern, Black Fox, My Lucky Star, Road to Freedom, Love Auction... we could go on! I'm so sad:( :( :(

mahsingyi
05-15-2007, 12:34 PM
What angers, hurts and p***es me off the most is that the classic comedy-turned-crime caper "TEMPERAMENT OF LIFE" will not see the light of the day.
This is a very sad day, because not only is this flick a true masterpiece by prolific director Cheng Kang but it is the only Ti Lung/David Chiang film that will not be available on DVD/VCD or whatever...;(((
Furthermore it is a true starstudded affair with Shaw superstars such as Chen Kuan tai, Yueh Hua, Ku Feng, Shih Szu, Chin Ping, Fan Mei Sheng, Chan Wei Man, Liu Yung, Wang Chung, Tsung Hua ....heck even star director Li Han Hsiang gets to play a acting role in this one.

I think I'll drown myself in vodka and gin today...sob, sob sob....

TanTao2
05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
...well you may think of Shadow Girl starring L. Li...1971...

mahsingyi
05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
indeed...you are right TanTao...;O) Cheers!

Linn1
05-15-2007, 01:32 PM
A couple of the titles mentioned in this thread HAVE been remastered. I'm sure they'll get released by someone at some point.

Many of the ones listed on this thread may not be in the catalog Celestial released, but that does NOT mean they have not been remastered, just that they are not releasing them in Hong Kong. I've seen them on the list of available titles Celestial has for companies to buy. That's except for To Kill a Mastermind. :(

sevenhooks
05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
No Supreme Swordsman either.

Brigadier Chow
05-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Damn, this situation is going from bad to worse. I guess I won't be getting rid of my King's video copy.

Chemical Lemon
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Supreme Swordsman is in there, you gotta start with "The.." for it to come up. Assuming this is the same Supreme Swordsman (1984 - Chang Kuo Ming, Derek Yee, Pai Piao). I like the fact that options pop up when you put in the search, but besides that their search is a little to picky (shouldn't have to put in "the").

So far with the exception of "the Winged Tiger", it all seems to be exactly the same as Ivy's list. 596 total, with 526 released so far. Leaving 70 remaining.

I remember there was a movie that popped up on a couple of lists around the time Ivy put the list out that had "Love with an Alien" 1958 on them (supposedly being in last weeks batch). Anybody know where this title came from, was it some kind of mistranslation/mistake? Celestial's site seems to be further confirmation that it's some kind of mistake.

Chemical Lemon
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I checked the number of titles under each letter, and accounting for "the winged Tiger" and 3 entries for "The 82 Tenants" there is the exact number that have been released or were on the prior list. 596. I didn't check to make sure everything on the old list was there, but assuming that nothing is missing, there should be nothing else that wasn't on the list.

in case anyone is looking for Disciples of the 36th chamber, it's under "ciples of the 36th chamber", whoops.

iron flag
05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Shame about the missing ones.Good to see the 2 most(?) asked about titles: 5 Element Ninja and Kid from Kwangtung on there. What's Tigress of Shaolin? Dont think I've heard of it.

sevenhooks
05-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Tigress of Shaolin is a really fun vehicle for Hui Ying Hung and Liu Chia Yung.
It was Hui Ying Hung's first starring role I believe.
Kung Fu comedy with some esoteric, bizarre styles (leprosy kung fu, etc.).
Liu Chia Liang's older sister, who apparently had a somewhat storied acting career back in the day does a great Sam Seedish type turn as the teacher.
A bit heavy on the slapstick side but also a lot of good action (plenty of Drunken Master ingredients/elements can be seen throughout).
Not really well known as this was never really well distributed on the underground bootleg circuit over the years.
Still a definite must see though.

7.5 out of 10

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
05-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Bloody Parrot

Heads For Sale

on the roster for release,

YES! YES! YES!

That's too bad though about the horrors and others. Some other company (hopefully) will release these flicks.

Dahnamics
05-15-2007, 08:11 PM
id ****in kill for a job remastering soundtracks for celestial..

Ivy Ling Po
05-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Hi Chemical Lemon

When I was at Celestial's offices, I met the Vice-President of Film Marketing. He was very proud of the fact that Celestial had managed to remaster 1958's Love With An Alien which was a rare black & white movie starring Asian Movie Queen Lucilla Yu Ming. This was Shaw's first collaboration with a Korean film company. In fact he opened the conversation with a discussion of this movie. However I questioned the market for such an old film and said Celestial should release Deadly Angels, Hellgate, Dark Rendezvous & Ching Li's wu xia Mission Impossible. He explained that sometimes decisions are made for artistic reasons and not for profitability.

iron flag
05-16-2007, 01:21 AM
>sometimes decisions are made for artistic reasons and not for profitability.<

I guess things are a lot different there than in Hollywood!!!

Look at the bright side; No missing Venoms movies!!! (I think I'm getting aroused)

mahsingyi
05-16-2007, 03:35 AM
Well, if the company choses movies upon their artistic before their business values as well, then why the heck don't they release "Temperament of Life" which in terms of art and value stands head and shoulders above the rest of this genre output by the studio??? Aside from an all star cast and extras, it is more than on par with the comedy/drama gem "House of the 72 Tenants", which as everybody knows has rocked the box offices and bedazzled the critics as well. So can anybody explain why this film is missing on the HK release list whilst crap like "Magic Baby" et al has been/ or will be released??????

Just scratching my balding scalp...;((((

5th Yang
05-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Ok, so can anyone here answer what then happens to all the reels of the films that Celestial wont be releasing? Do they sit another 20-30 years down in a cellar and rot away or are they given back to Shaw Studios and refunded part of the millions they spent?

I'm still pissed off about "To Kill A Mastermind" not being released by the way.>: >: >: >:

5th Yang

Markgway
05-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Artistic reasons, eh?

Was that before or after they decided to @#%$ the audio? :rolleyes

sevenhooks
05-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Artistic reasons, eh?

Was that before or after they decided to @#%$ the audio?

:rollin

post of the month!!

Markgway
05-16-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm making a list in a new thread regarding what titles are not coming out that can maybe be stickied for future reference.

Check it out.

TanTao2
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
...over 180 Shaw titles will not get a release by Celestial...:(

Chemical Lemon
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey, thanks for the info Ivy, well looks like they must've taken your advice since they seem to have dropped it. Must admit I'm pretty interested in all the really old movies, but if they have to pick and choose I guess I'd probably prefer all the ones you mentioned, hopefully someone will reconsider these at some point.

thundered mantis
05-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Uhh this is indeed shocking and depressing news for me. Many titles I was eagerly awaiting are on the non-to-be-released list:

To Kill A MasterMind
I´ll Finally Knock You Dad
Hong Kong Godfather
Ghosts Galore

Other people will have different titles in their personal lists, but now the only important questions are: are the "non-to-be-released" titles lost except by boots? I mean, is there any chance they can be acquired by any other company which puts them out (on DVD or cable networks or whatever)? Has Celestial bought them and plans to sit on them, or are they open to negotiation for any other companies to get the films, or is it simply that those were not bought by Celestial? If that´s the case, what are the chances any other company (Weisensteins or whatever) can buy the rights and release them?

Linn1
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
and I'll say it again, they've already got most of the "missing" titles on offer. This is simply what isn't getting released in Hong Kong, and even then the site isn't finished, so more may be added. The films have already been remastered unless they were just falling apart and another company can pick them up. I doubt Dragon Dynasty will buy anymore at this point.

Markgway
05-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I think what concerns people is that if these titles aren't gonna be released in HK then where are they gonna be released? Taiwan? Western releases aren't likely unless some small distributor picks up the drabs on the cheap. But Celestial I'm sure would rather let them stew than give bargain prices for less important titles. Maybe if someone were to specifically seek out the martial arts jobs... but whom?? It looks bleak to me. :(

Linn1
05-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I can think of two companies off the top of my head that are looking into it right now. ;)

Markgway
05-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Seriously? Companies that are after the ones that slipped thru the cracks? Cool. Keep us posted. :)

thundered mantis
05-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks for explaining it, Linn :D .

Now, my last question on the subject, I promise: what about To Kill a MasterMind? Threads before you said it wasn´t on the "Celestial for companies" list, neither. Do you think that one is lost, or there are chances it will surface legit (from Celestial or from any other company)?

Thanks again!