You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
galvatron1976

Default The Hunger Games(2012): too violent for children?

The Hunger Games: too violent for children?

Some parents have taken their children out of screenings of The Hunger Games, saying that they have been too distressed by the film.

Concerns have been raised about the violent content of The Hunger Games, after some parents have taken their children out of screenings saying that they have found the film too distressing.
Originally the BBFC gave the film a 15 rating but after producers agreed to a seven-second cut a 12A rating was given. This means that children aged 12 and over can see the film alone, and those under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.

Based on the novel by Suzanne Collins, the film depicts a dystopia where children are forced to fight to death in the gladiator-style televised “Hunger Games” which are used as punishment for a past misdeed. Unexpectedly, given the storyline of its source material, it features many violent scenes where children are seen fatally injuring one another.
The film, which stars Jennifer Lawrence, Woody Harrelson and Donald Sutherland, has grossed £5million in its opening weekend – surpassing that of Twilight which, due to both films having a female protagonist, The Hunger Games is being regularly compared to.
However, concerns are growing about how young children may be affected by what they see. The BBFC has received a small number of complaints and some are calling for the certificate to be changed.
The BBFC say that they will not revise a theatrical classification once it has been issued. Local authorities do have the power to change classifications of films shown in cinemas in their own area, however this very rarely happens.

Link
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...-children.html
Have anyone watch this movies here already?
Is this movies about children killing children ?
Thanks.
galvatron1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Karlos

SPOILERS

How anyone could take a child to see this and then decry it as "violent" wants their head examining. Any synopsis or review of this clearly states what the subject matter is.

Are they so dead set on blindly follwoing the herd that they don't even look at what it is they're going to see?

It should be a disturbing film, but it's shot so poorly and the characters are shown in such a bland fashion that it is totally neutered.

Seriously, over half the characters in the "games" portion of the film don't even have any lines before being offed.

It's a pretty awful film - that's what people should be upset about.
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
ShaOW!linDude
Master

SLAM!!!

Well, I'm disappointed to hear this. I was sort of looking forward to seeing it. I've heard such good things about the books, I guess I was buying into all the hype for the film. The trailers make it look good.

What age were these kids whose folks took them to see this, anyway? Karlos is right. This "herd" mentality some people seem to engage in is just idiotic.
ShaOW!linDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Markgway

The film was actually cut twice by the BBFC; so more than 7 secs are actually missing/altered.

Details here:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/CFF284121/

It's a '12A' because the distributors want the added box office. Who gives a shit if it's suitable for kids (cut or not)?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Tosh

at all this to violent stuff, the mpaa's asshole has gotten so tight, it's a joke what they try to censor these days, and now you have a bunch of uptight(religious types I'm betting) parents that freak out if their kid sees a boob or blood.

Geez I don't know I seem to remember being a young lad and watching these violent Kung Fu movies on tv, I remember seeing RED blood spraying from Godzilla's neck, cusing, nudity(a special bonus for a young kid), I'm not getting this save the children mentality.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Markgway

I think the problem here is that if you give a film an 'R' kids seek that out on video with certain expectations of violence in mind. They know what they're gonna get. When a film is PG-13 most associate that rating with 'suitable for kids' and not all kids are capable of digesting stronger material (reading descriptions of child murder in a novel is less potent than seeing it visualised). It's the difference between a kid sneaking a cigarette behind the bike sheds and your parents handing you a pack before school.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
wongfeihung62

I wonder how long it is before the Daily Mail ( a UK tabloid famous in the 80's for stirring up moral panic over violent video's ), starts using the term "video nasty" to describe this movie.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
wongfeihung62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
Markgway

I'm not a Daily Mail hater... but they do love this moral panic shit.

Mind you it was The Sun who encouraged people to BURN Child's Play 3 tapes.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
wongfeihung62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post

Mind you it was The Sun who encouraged people to BURN Child's Play 3 tapes.
Aah. The good old days.....
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
wongfeihung62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
daisho2004
Master

OK I just got back from seeing The Hunger Games and all honestly I wasn't all that impressed with it! It didn't tell you why the games were created in the 1st. place. And what they got when they won? As far as being to violent for Children there really wasn't all that much Killing and it was so quick I've seen worse on TV! This kind reminded me of The Running Man and Battle Royal all in one! Honestly I would wait for this on DVD!