Go Back   Kung Fu Cinema Forums > Martial Arts Cinema > Modern Martial Arts Cinema 1985-Present

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #381
rdenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenn View Post
looks like this is already showing in london http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/The...n-Cinemas.aspx
just got told this is in canada not london but it it showing in the ritzy cinema in brixton Friday 20 April, from 9.45 a double bill with hard boiled so some of the london crew should be out to watch this one

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinem...d_Hard_Boiled/
rdenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #382
Biomorph

Great Film!!! Saw it monday,still digesting it. Downtown Montreal crowd reacted well,I agree BEST KNIFE FIGHTS EVER! AWESOME group chreography!
Very tense moments and a streamlined story perfect for action storytelling.
This man knows how to shoot action!
Biomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #383
bigrogie

Just came back from seeing The Raid. My first and basically only criteria to like a movie is did it entertained me. Hell yeah it did! First 30 minutes is mostly gun shooting. SWAT team vs bad guys with guns. Nothing I haven't seen before and it did not blow me away but very well filmed and good action. However, the next hour is simply WOW and amazing! Great fight scenes, hand to hand combat, knives, machetes. Basically non stop action with great choreography. As good as it gets! I didn't know it was Indonesian language with subs (I prefer dubbed movies) but it didn't matter, you could even watch this movie with no subs and still enjoy it the same. Very well done.
bigrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #384
KUNG FU BOB
Master

Location: Outside of Philly, PA, within the underground Temple of the Dragon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenn View Post
just got told this is in canada not london but it it showing in the ritzy cinema in brixton Friday 20 April, from 9.45 a double bill with hard boiled
Double-billed with HARDBOILED?! How sweet is that?

Went with my son to see this yesterday. I picked him up from school and we went straight to the twilight show. As we were buying the tickets I asked the young guy waiting on us if he'd seen it. He raved "I'm not a subtitle guy. The last film I saw with subtitles was CROUCHING TIGER. But this was just insane! Other than about ten minutes, it's non-stop action! I've been telling everyone I know that they've got to see it. It doesn't even matter that it's subtitled. You guys are going to love it." Cool....

Including us there were only five people in the theater! Though I was disappointed for the filmmakers- as I want this to sell to sold out shows, it is typically empty during that time slot (even for popular blockbusters), and we figured less distractions. The other patrons were great- no talking, texting, cell phones, et.

WE LOVED IT!

The film has great suspense and build up of tension. Director Evans chose the perfect way to intro the character and give a little glimpse of his skill sets (like a serious version of the "wake up work out" from WHEELS ON MEALS).

It has a good, realistic blend of gun and martial arts action. Though Iko and the others pull off some fantastic moves, it never looks like "Check out the fancy moves we can do" in a demo sort of way (which is something that's been haunting action cinema).

The combat looks very practical and is filmed in an exciting, but clear way. The combat with blades and hand-to-hand is handled like a professional would utilize these skills in a real-life situation. It's very much a matter of speed, and the attempt to create maximum, crippling damage with the least amount of energy output possible. For example, instead of giving a guy a simple slash with the knife that would injure him but leave him still mobile and dangerous, Iko's character stabs him high in the thigh, then pulls the knife the length of his upper leg and out through the kneecap. He's NOT getting up to fight anymore! There's a lot of clever thinking on the character's part as he tries to survive, and he uses his intelligence to make the most efective use of his skills. I really dig that. Sure, seeing a mindless badass just muscling through tough situations can be cool, but seeing the characters in THE RAID behave with relatable behaviors makes you connect that much more with them. Yes, he has Hella good skills. But when cornered by four machette-wielding thugs he doesn't start cracking wise, nor wade into them with a smug "who cares?" smile. He seriously looks like "Oh shit. I hope I don't die. This is really bad." Then he musters up his courage and goes all "Do or Die" as he faces his foes. This kind of realistic fear of dying or being maimed makes the fights so much more exciting. When people are slashing at him with knives he really looks like he's in actual danger, and he moves with an urgency that many action films are missing. It never appears like the actors/stunt guys are thinking "Okay, dodge to the left to avoid the rubber knife. Ah... if I don't move fast enough... no big deal. We'll do another take". They (especially Iko) are jumping and dodging out of the way like their asses are truly on the line!

Also, major kudos to these guys for bringing back the goods- a memorable fighting villain (Mad Dog) that's a real challenge to the hero's skills, and long ass final fights- from our beloved genre classics of years gone by.

How good is it? As an action film I would give it a 9.5-10. Exciting, cool, full of gasp-inducing moments. The second it was over my son said "How long until we can get this on BluRay?" Then we wound up talking about it for a good hour while eating dinner. We both want to see it again right away. I had to watch MERANTAU's fights when I got home to satiate my desire to see THE RAID again immediately.

I really can't recommend this enough. Please support these guys and this great film by seeing it (at least once) in the theater. This film deserves to be seen on the big screen, and we're not usually lucky enough to see something like this everyday in the theater. Don't think about it. DO IT!

Sadly, my truck (which was just repaired ) was acting kind of funny, so I didn't want to risk driving to the city before having it looked at. So we missed SCHOOL ON FIRE's special, uncut version screening. This would have been way more of a bummer if we weren't coming out of seeing this killer film.

Last edited by KUNG FU BOB; 04-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
KUNG FU BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #385
daisho2004
Master

@KFB: I told you this movie was all that and then some!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #386
sifu iron perm

20th April @ brixton.
any more dates let me know.

cheers.
sifu iron perm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #387
xianzai

Loved it. If I were to pick nits, I would have preferred it to be less gory, and for certain of the fights (such as the drug lab) to be slightly trimmed, as they got a bit repetitive.
xianzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #388
trueth

Had to drive 4 hours (round trip) but it was worth it. Hands down the best film I've seen this year, possibly the best MA film I've seen in the last decade. Choreography was crisp yet brutal. Kudos to the director, clearly he knows how to shoot action sequences. MA cinema has been put on notice. Can't wait for Berandal.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #389
OpiumKungFuCracker
Master

My favorite shot in the movie is when Iko throws one of the thugs from the top floor giving it a vertigo angle and then the guy lands on his back cracks in half, AWESOME!!!!
OpiumKungFuCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #390
trueth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpiumKungFuCracker View Post
My favorite shot in the movie is when Iko throws one of the thugs from the top floor giving it a vertigo angle and then the guy lands on his back cracks in half, AWESOME!!!!
Mad Dog standing between the brothers is my favorite shot. He's just daring them to attack him.