BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #541
KUNG FU BOB
Master

Location: Outside of Philly, PA, within the underground Temple of the Dragon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by teako170 View Post
Finally got the time to sit back and watch a Shaw flick (though it took two nights).
Saw this one way back on Black Belt Theater but only viewed the IVL once (in 2004?)

Excellent fu-fest. Really liked how LKL ended his battle with Gordon as well as how he ended the film.
Yes, the moral lessons in this film are fantastic! When I first started training in Jujutsu I turned on a bunch of the younger (and older), teenage students to Asian cinema and I made sure to show them this one. It had a profound effect on many of them. I thought that seeing someone with incredible skill, but also an equal amount of kindness and mercy was important for their journey through life as a martial artist. Same with MARTIAL CLUB.

Thank you for the great photos Teako!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Kid With The Golden Arm – solid Venoms Movie, Good action but didn't blow me away like a lot of their films.

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter – really very good movie, enjoyed everything about it.

Avenging Eagle – Enjoyed this thoroughly, very good fights through the movie, good story and drama. Got to say I loved the detail on those old shaw brother sets!

Barring the odd modern HK exception that grabs me these days, why can't Hong Kong make movies like these classics?
That's quite a run of 1st time viewed films! Great stuff.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #542
blue_skies
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNG FU BOB View Post

That's quite a run of 1st time viewed films! Great stuff.
Yeah but that was over a couple of weeks
I also watched "daredevils" as well and forgot when I posted earlier, probably because it was the weakest of all the movies… Still entertaining enough

Most of the Shaw Bros movies I'm watching are first time viewing , so I'm really appreciative to Kingofkungfu2002 for his generosity in all the movies he gave me and all the helpful recommendations from this forum.

Last edited by blue_skies; 04-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #543
KUNG FU BOB
Master

Location: Outside of Philly, PA, within the underground Temple of the Dragon Monkey

Quote:
Yeah but that was over a couple of weeks
I also watched "daredevils" as well and forgot when I posted earlier, probably because it was the weakest of all the movies… Still entertaining enough

Most of the Shaw Bros movies I'm watching are first time viewing , so I'm really appreciative to Kingofkungfu2002 for his generosity in all the movies he gave me and all the helpful recommendations from this forum.
Right on. Agree with you on DAREDEVILS. Fun, but not that great.

Yes, KingofKungFu2002 is a fantastic guy. Generous, kind, and very cool. Love that guy!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #544
kingofkungfu2002

kingofkungfu2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #545
The Dragon
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNG FU BOB View Post
Right on. Agree with you on DAREDEVILS. Fun, but not that great.

Yes, KingofKungFu2002 is a fantastic guy. Generous, kind, and very cool. Love that guy!
Yeah, he is kinda special, KFB!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #546
massa_yoda

Shaolin Intruders

Cool movie with awesome weapons. The fight on the wooden benches was classic. Good end fight too. Finally, I've seen all 3 Tang Chia (aka Tong Gai) films!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #547
blue_skies
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
Yeah, he is kinda special, KFB!

Yeah great guy, opened me up to so much that I probably wouldn't have even thought about seeing.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #548
blue_skies
Master

I was wondering do people just comment on all the Shaw Brother films they have seen recently here? Or just the good ones?

Last night I watched "ode to gallantry" and I can't say it was a good movie or one that I particularly enjoyed despite my favourite venom being in it. Still very new to SB I doubt it's suitable to be placed on the worst SB movies list but it's definitely the worst Shaw brother movie I've seen to date and the worst venoms movie I've watched by some long distance(although I still have a few yet to watch).

edit: I was just looking on Hong Kong cinemagic wondering if it had anything to do with the loss of Lu Feng, perhaps on choreography duties but apparently he was a part of it. I know the production definitely missed his skills on-screen and lacked a real presence of an amazing bad guy to fight in the finale(and throughout). Even my other favourite Chiang Sheng didn't look great, even when doing his acrobatic moves looked like he was on autopilot just going through the motions. Shame.

Last edited by blue_skies; 05-31-2012 at 08:21 AM.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #549
massa_yoda

Quote:
I was wondering do people just comment on all the Shaw Brother films they have seen recently here? Or just the good ones?
I think the idea is that they are ALL good movies, though you have just given evidence to the contrary!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #550
blue_skies
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa_yoda View Post
I think the idea is that they are ALL good movies, though you have just given evidence to the contrary!

maybe this section of the forum needs a what's the last Shaw Bros film you watched? thread