Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #61
DarthKato

Here is the next review

Movie Review “Holy Flame of the Martial World”

Starring:
Max Mok Siu Chung as Yien Tien-Chu
Mary Jean Reimer as Tu Chuan-erh
Yeung Jing Jing as Yin Tan-Feng

Short Story Summary: A brother and sister seek vengeance on the ones that killed their parents.

Story: (8/10) The bases of the story is nothing special. It is the usual revenge tale that shows up in many martial art films. That being said, I did find the movie really entertaining. It is a fantasy/Wukia film that is well written and stays at a nice, steady pace. I will warn that this movie is very campy and may not be for everyone. Crazy, over the top things happen throughout the movie and it may turn off some people.

Characters/Cast: (9/10) First, the dubbing job on this film is hilarious to listen to. Also, for some reason,every time the characters do something they perform a series of hand gestures(they even perform hand signs for holding their breath.) Even though their acting is really comical to see sometimes, I did really like the cast in this film. Max Mok Siu Chung is great as the main protagonist of the film. I found that his character acted more normal than most of the others and he is overall likable . His sister Ying Tan-Feng, played by Yeung Jing Jing, is also good and is the other sane character in this film. She also really good and I actually found her to be the more interesting of the two main protagonist. The reason is that while her brother is set on a steady path from the beginning, she is in a terrible situation of being manipulated by the people that killed her parents. It is interesting to see her struggle in trying to make sense of the confusing situation before her. As for the rest of the characters, the best way to describe them is that they are each their own form of crazy. They all do crazy things, like Yien Tien chu’s master has a laughing attack(that is the only way I can describe it), there is a mummy that knows martial arts, and that is just a few on the crazy characters that you will see. Even though they are quirky, I still liked all the characters and the cast did a top notch job.

Action: (7/10) I was not that crazy about the fight scenes. They were entertain to watch, but most of them you could not really call “martial arts”. The fights in this film consisted of mostly magical attacks such as flying swords and shooting beams out of their fingers like Yusuke from “Yu Yu Hakusho. The more traditional fights where mainly sword fights, but they were okay. The final fight is not so much intense as it is hysterically over the top and a sight to see. Not the best action scenes, but entertaining
none of the less.

Music: (9/10) while not much in the way of music, what’s there is really good. They really add to the
action scenes and are a welcome addition.

Visuals: (7.5/10) Three words: Too…much…wire! I am not really the biggest fan of wires, but if is used in moderation I can stand it. This film thought uses it in every fight scene and even sometimes in other scenes as well. There are wires on everything from the actors to the weapons they carry. I know that this is a Wukia film, but could they not have just toned down the wire use a little. Also, when the actors are flying it looks comically bad. I will say that the scene when the swords are flying around is cool and looks well done. The blood affects are pretty good, but the skeletons that some people get turned intolook obviously fake. There are also a few good explosions thrown in for good measure (this was made in the 80’s after all) and the sets are interesting.

Conclusion: A film not for everyone, but still a well-made comedy/martial arts/fantasy movie. I recommend checking this one out.

Thanks for reading

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18673

Last edited by DarthKato; 01-07-2012 at 07:09 AM.
DarthKato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #62
Serbianguy

Good work Kato But I want to see more old school movies
Serbianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #63
DarthKato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbianguy View Post
Good work Kato But I want to see more old school movies
Thanks! I will see what I can do about reviewing some older films.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #64
DarthKato

Just thought I say that I have not stopped writing reviews. I just have a lot on my plate right now with college and everything, but I will be writing new reviews soon.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #65
DarthKato

Here is my next review

"Been a while since my last review and I am kind of rusty"

Review “Firefly” (“TV Series”)

Starring:

Nathan Fillion as Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Short Story Summary: A group of “mercenaries for hire” are on the run after they pick up a passenger that is wanted by the totalitarian alliance regime that experimented on her.

Story (7/10): The plot is pretty basic, but it works to keep the show moving at a steady pace and to keep the action going. It was never really confusing and it keeps the technobabble to a minimum. This show really has that fell of being like a western that, instead of being out west, it is set in space. Although the themes of the show are pretty serious, it does make time to comical at time(Not to the point of being campy though) and that helps to liven the mood. The one thing that I found that may turn people off is that this show is that is filled with messages about things ranging from political power to references to the Civil War. These messages, I found, did not really affect the enjoyment of the show and will be most likely be over looked in most cases.

Characters/Cast(10/10): The cast of the show is excellent and work perfectly together. Nathan Fillion is great as Captain Reynolds. His character can come across as a jerk at times, but you can tell that he is just trying to keep his crew out of harm’s way. The rest of the cast are great in their respective roles and interact well with each other.

Action(8/10): The action I found where pretty good, ranging from barroom fights to shootouts in space. If you have seen a lot of westerns, then you will have a good idea on how the action plays out.

Music(10/10): The opening theme is pretty good and works well with the show. The rest of the music that I heard was pretty good, having a western twinge to it, and fits the show.

Visuals(8.5/10): To be a TV series, this show has really good graphics. The ship looks very well made and the special effects are well done. The settings are also diverse and keep the show from becoming stale, as some shows that are set in one local sometimes become. The aliens are also well done.

Conclusion: One of the best TV series I have seen in a long time. While It is a must see for Sci-Fi and westerns fans alike, it should be an enjoyable watch for anyone. I highly recommend watching this show.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by DarthKato; 04-09-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #66
massa_yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthKato View Post
Conclusion: One of the best TV series I have seen in a long time. While It is a must see for Sci-Fi and westerns fans alike, it should be an enjoyable watch for anyone. I highly recommend watching theis show.
Yep, nailed it! Good review.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #67
DarthKato

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa_yoda View Post
Yep, nailed it! Good review.
Thanks, it really is a great show.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #68
DarthKato

Here is the next review

Movie Review: ďAssassinís Creed: LinageĒ

Starring:

Romano Orzari as Giovanni Auditore

Short Story Summary: Prequel to Assassinís Creed II, that focuses on Ezioís father Giovanni.

Story: (7/10) Not a bad story and it does well to show the events leading up to the story in AC: II. The big problem is that if you are not already a fan of the game, you will most likely not understand what is going on. Fans of the games will be sure to enjoy this film thought and that is pretty much the whole point that it was made for anyway.

Characters/Cast :( 8/10) The cast was okay. I think the acting in this movie was pretty good for a made-for internet film. The characters are, of course, great. You will see many familiar faces from the game and that will add a sense of joy to any fan.

Action: (10/10) The action is very well done and has the Assassinís Creed feel to it. The action is quick and exciting and players are sure to recognize many of the same fighting moves that where in the game. You will also recognize many of the same weapons that appeared in the game(that includes the assassinís signature ďWrist Blade).

Music: (9/10) The music is pretty good and fits the time ans setting of the story.

Visuals: (8.5/10) The visuals are really well done. The shots of the city are beautifully done and look better than a lot of big budget films. The costumes are also well done and it is great to see a live person in a assassinís outfit.

Conclusion: Fans are sure to like this film, but everyone else will probably be scratching their head. It could be a good way for someone not familiar with the game series to become acquainted with it. It is now available on DVD pretty cheap, but you can still view it online. A must for fans and most likely a pass for everyone else.

Thanks for reading

Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #69
DarthKato

Here is the next review

Movie review: “Police Story 3: Supercop”

Starring:

Jackie Chan as Inspector Chan
Michelle Yeoh as Jessica Yang
Maggie Cheung as May
Kenneth Tsang as Chaibat
Wah Yuen as Panther

Short Story Summary: A Hong Kong Police officer goes undercover to break up a drug ring.

Story: (7/10) The story is standard fair for a Jackie film. It is nothing special, but it gets the job done. The story is basically just there to help get from one fight or comic scene to the next, while trying to not become overly complex. Anyone that is a fan of Jackie will not notice this lack of a more sophisticated story, but others may find the story lacking in substance.

Characters/Cast: (8.5/10) Jackie Chan is as great as ever. His comic and action scenes are well performed and he gives an excellent performance. He makes his Character named “Chan” (go figure) a very likable and sympathetic fellow and you are sure to be rooting for him throughout the film. Michelle Yeoh also gives an excellent performance as Jessica Yang. She and Jackie’s interactions with each other are what really made the film interesting and fun to watch. She is a very talented woman, who not only does her own stunts, but also does well in the comic scenes as well. Maggie Cheung is as great as ever in her role as Jackie’s Girlfriend, May. The villains Chaibat (Kenneth Tsang) and Panther (Wah Yuen) are both pretty good. I think that Panther is the better of the two, as I felt that Chaibat was a bit over the top in his actions most of the time. It just seemed like Mr. Tsang was over acting way too much for my taste.

Action: (7.5/10) The action scenes were okay. There was no real good one on one fights, save for near the beginning when Jackie has to fight one of the military policemen in a training yard. This fight was short, but was pretty good, having a nice blend of action and comedy moments. The rest of the fights are basically against henchmen and not all that thrilling. The stunts in the film where good though. Both Jackie and Yeoh do a nice verity of stunts that should keep anyone both entertained and thrilled.

Music: (4/10) Very poor and generic. It did have a few good songs, but I don’t think they were by the original artist which would have raised the score a bit more.

Visuals: (9/10) The visuals where okay. The film had a nice variety of locations ranging from a coal yard to the back of moving train. No CG was used in the production of this film (well non that would bother anyone that is against CG) and this adds to the thrills of the stunt work. There was also no “Noticeable” wire work and this keeps the film from looking strange. Bad or over-done wire work can do that.

Conclusion: While it is far from perfect, this is still a very fun film to watch. I recommend checking it out.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by DarthKato; 05-07-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #70
DarthKato

Here is my next review

Movie review: “Underworld: Awakening”

Starring:

Kate Beckinsale as Selene
India Eisley as Eve
Stephen Rea as Dr. Jacob Lane
Michael Ealy as Detective Sebastian
Theo James as David

Short Story Summary: After Selene awakens after twelve years in a cryogenic coma, she must find out the identity and protect the mysterious Subject 2 who awoken her from her coma.

Story: (7.5/10) The story is okay, but it does contain quite a few plot holes. For example, it is never (to my knowledge) explained how humans found out about the Vampires and Lycans. The film just starts with Selene explaining the events of the previous films and about the current “Purge” of the Vampire and Lycans races. The actions then heats up and does not slow a bit. While the story looks like Swiss cheese, the action keeps things flowing and the story is not really that confusing. I will say that it did end kind of abruptly and there is sure to be a fifth one (which is okay with me).

Characters/Cast: (8.5/10) The cast was all around pretty good. Kate Beckinsale returns, after her sad absence from “Rise of the Lycans”, as the Death Dealer Selene. Miss Bechensale is just as great as she was in the other films and it’s great to see her back. Her supporting cast on the other hand was kind of touch and go for me. India Eisley did an okay job as Eve/Subject 2. Michael Ealy who played Detective Sebastian was not really that good in this film. His character was basically not really needed. Sebastian kind of just went through the film with a confused look on his face and looked uninterested in everything going on. David, played by Theo James, was a little better. Mr. James seemed to really get into his role and he had some pretty decent action scenes. I really believe that they could have just combined the David/Sebastian characters together and it would have made a much better character. The main antagonist Dr. Jacob Lane, played by Stephen Rea, is a terrible villain and is a major step back from the antagonists from the rest of the films. He is a very stereotypical, boring bad guy and his son, Quint, played by Kris Holden-Reid, is a little better, but not by much. The rest of the cast was nothing really special, but they were okay.

Action: (9/10) I thought the action in this film was really well done and entertaining. They did rely a little too much on wires during the action scenes, but it does not get to the point that it ruins them. Once again they’re a nice assortment of weapons and the fights are well filmed and easy to follow.

Music: (6/10) There was some okay background music, but nothing really that great.

Visuals: (9/10) The moody, gothic look from the previous films returns and it looks as great as ever. There is a good verity of locations and they all look okay. The creature effects are once again well done and luckily do not have a campy look to them. -10 points for overuse of wires in some scenes and some really unnecessary gore.

Conclusion: While it has its flaws, “Awakening “is a really good film and is a great follow up to the original trilogy. I recommend checking this film out.

Next review will be of the film "True Legend"

Thanks for reading

Last edited by DarthKato; 05-11-2012 at 04:17 AM.