BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
massa_yoda

Default Safe (2012)

Mei, a young girl whose memory holds a priceless numerical code, finds herself pursued by the Triads, the Russian mob, and corrupt NYC cops. Coming to her aid is an ex-cage fighter whose life was destroyed by the gangsters on Mei's trail. (imdb.com)

This film doesn't just wait around to get going, very fast start. No action really, it's just put together to be quick and tense, showing how Statham's path and the girl's path come together. Some great photography here. Unfortunately, the movie gets too big and bloated in the second half. Everyone in New York is connected to this somehow. Is there one good person in law enforcement in NYC? This film makes me doubt it! It's too much, the first half was perfect and simple. Though I do love how basically the entire city was after Statham and the girl! As a result, the body count is ridiculously high. There were a plethora of shootouts. The first couple were the best. There are some inside-the-car POV shots during one that is creative. Another during a car chase that makes good use of the rear-view mirrors to show action. The ending is a big letdown...you feel you get robbed of a final action scene. Anti-climactic, but still...what happens is kinda funny.

WAY better than Killer Elite. Some good creative choices. I just wish it didn't get so bloated in the second half. Just keep it simple.