You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
paimeifist

Default Just getting my first region free DVD player..

Any suggestions on which one I should get? Am I better off just investing in a region free blu-ray player?

Also, are there any suggestions as far as classic fu movies I should get that were unavailable/bad quality in R1?

Thanks all!
paimeifist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
xianzai

Quote:
Any suggestions on which one I should get?
I've had good luck with DVD players from Philips. Just be sure to google and see if the models you're looking at can handle PAL/NTSC and have a code you can enter to allow it to play all regions.

Quote:
Am I better off just investing in a region free blu-ray player?
If you're in the US/Canada, I'm not sure region free BR is important for Asian film fans for now. I can't think of a film I wanted that wasn't playable in a US BR player. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

I had to replace the BR drive in my PS3 after about a year and a half ($$$), so I don't know that going with one player for everything would end up being cheaper than a region-free DVD player and a US BR player.

BR (esp. BR 3D) may still be an evolving spec, so be sure to get a player that will get firmware updates.
xianzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
CatNap

When I was planning on getting my first DVD player years ago, a customer service rep at a HK DVD site I was using at the time recommended Philips, as they were pioneers in that technology. The player I bought lasted years before I replaced it with another of that same name brand (I bought two of that model as a backup). It's still going strong and I was able to convert it to an all regional player with help from someone on the Anita Mui forum. Plays my HK DVDs, I'm happy.

Laura
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
OpiumKungFuCracker
Master

Once you'd figured out which region free player to get, be on the lookout as you will splurge and spend about $1000 worth of dvd/bluray titles to choose from as time passes on... Or you can try one of those netflix services that specializes in region dvd or just come visit the market place on KFC, I'm sure these guys would be willing part ways of their collection from time to time...
OpiumKungFuCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
paimeifist

Thinking of this - http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP356...5816725&sr=1-3

What do you guys think?
paimeifist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
kaleyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimeifist View Post
Thinking of this - http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP356...5816725&sr=1-3

What do you guys think?
I've had that DVD player for nearly 4 years and for the money it's a great buy. Picture quality is sharp and mine is still going after 4 years of hard service. The one downside is the remote control; it's very unresponsive and sometimes you have to press a button multiple times to get the desired effect. But aside from that, the player itself is great value for money.
kaleyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Bruce

Default How much difference...?

How much difference does the HDMI connection make as compared with standard audio & video connections? I have an old multi-region Malata dvd player that has worked fine for me for a long time, but I'm wondering if upgrading to something like this with the HDMI connection (my Malata doesn't have that) would improve the picture quality on, for instance, my many region 2 Hong Kong Legends dvds. Can anyone give me an idea of whether buying a newer model multi-region player would significantly enhance picture quality? Thanks.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
John

The short explanation is, HDMI is a digital connection and digital is a much better video connection. If you're looking for an upgrade, try and track down an Oppo DV-981H or DV-983H; in addition to supporting HDMI connections, both players are all-around solid machines. The 983H in particular is among the best performing DVD players ever sold; I've had mine since they launched in what, 2008?

That said, they're out of production; it might be difficult to track one down, and even if you do it will probably be used. You might instead look at a Blu-ray player with multiregion capabilities. Although Oppo makes an excellent BD player as well, they are not region free and are comparably expensive, although you can modify them with a no-solder chip (I'll eventually dump my jet-enginestation 3 and do just this, myself). You could also look for BD players that are unlockable, although ensuring PAL-NTSC conversion is supported might prove frustrating (all Oppos can do this and do it properly).
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
How much difference does the HDMI connection make as compared with standard audio & video connections?
For my two cents I think it mostly depends on the rest of your equipment. For instance, is your TV capable of displaying true 1080p or does it only handle 720p and have to down-convert for 1080p? And what size is your TV? If you have a smaller TV (like 32" inches and below) or if your TV can't display full 1080p, then you are not going to see a big difference by just using HDMI. Not to say there won't be a difference, but it won't be a huge upgrade.

HDMI is great for bigger TV's that are able to take full advantage of the higher resolution.
ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng View Post
For my two cents I think it mostly depends on the rest of your equipment. For instance, is your TV capable of displaying true 1080p or does it only handle 720p and have to down-convert for 1080p? And what size is your TV? If you have a smaller TV (like 32" inches and below) or if your TV can't display full 1080p, then you are not going to see a big difference by just using HDMI. Not to say there won't be a difference, but it won't be a huge upgrade.

HDMI is great for bigger TV's that are able to take full advantage of the higher resolution.
If you swap out "HDMI" with "HDTV" or "Blu-ray", this makes sense. DVDs have PAL, NTSC, or SECAM video; all are very limited resolutions that show their weaknesses the closer one examines them/the larger the display. Ideally, they'd be viewed on a display with or close to native resolution. HDTVs actually present an obstacle for low resolution content in that it needs to be upconverted to the higher resolution, a process that can degrade video quality if done poorly. That's why player hardware matters; nowadays BD players with QDEO processing are among the better performing devices in this regard.

Last edited by John; 05-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote