You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Default Anyone living in Boston now and the early 1980's. need some help.

Dear Forum Members.

I am seeking a dialog with any of you who may have lived in Boston in the 1980's to present and who during these times may have frequented the Boston Commons early in the morning enough to know the people landscape in the early morning hours between 7:30 to 9;30.

I am attempting to find out if any of you may have seen the great Tai Chi Chuan Master Chan and to see if Master Chan may still be alive and still visiting the Boston Commons at this time.

More details on this request if anyone comes forward.

Thanks and blessings,

GD Y-Y
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Default The story of master chan of boston commons.

I have told this story before.
I am telling it again because if anyone one on this forum is a Bostonian, perhaps you have seen this Kung Fu Master. I would like to know if He is still alive. If He is He may still go to the Boston Commons in the early morning hours. If any of you has 'EVER' seen this Master I would love to hear from you.

GD Y-Y

My meetings with Kung Fu master Chan of the Boston Commons.

Master Chan Part I.
It was 1983 I was living in Boston at the time. One summer day I met some folks who invited me over. It got late so I spent the night. I did not sleep that night for reasons left unexplained. Around sunrise 6:30 I decided to walk to downtown Boston.

I arrived at the Boston Commons around 8 o'clock.

Boston Commons is right next to Chinatown and the heart of Bostons business district. Since its so close to Chinatown many Chinese people come in the park early to do their exercises.

As I made my way into the park I was guided to go to the only hill in the park that has a memorial for World War I Navy veterans.
There was only one person up there at the time, a short Chinese man with slight balding hair and radiant eyes. My curiosity was quickly aroused as I saw him do the strangest moves that looked like kung fu but with no clear form. I had seen many kung fu movies to that point and knew what kung fu was supposed to look like. But he was doing these odd breath things standing on one leg and using, it appeared to be a crane hand. I realized very quickly I was in the presence of no ordinary man especially when he did his three kicks all with a loud HA that snapped when they hit the encasement walls of the Navy statue. He did a straight on kick where the flat of his foot sent a resounding illustration of power when it hit its mark. His other two kicks were a toe kick and last his heal kick. All three looked deadly, to say the least. He then touched the surface of the statue, in what, I can only describe as a yin-yang motion.

After 30 minutes of this I was convinced this man had extraordinary skills. I was completely blown away!
When then to the right of me, walking up the hill, were two dudes, one a skinny blond country bumpkin sort of, the other, I call Moe, because he had a Moe of the Three Stooges bowl haircut. He wore a black leather vest with no tee-shirt underneath and was built like a brick shit house, (an American slang term that apply applies to Moe). They approached me and Moe asked me where the Greyhound Bus Station was and mentioning they were from South Dakota and just passing through. I told them in what direction to find the bus depot. Then I quickly turned my attention back to the strange kung fu Master I had encountered, thus making it obvious, I was not interested in conversing further.

Moe and his buddy went to the left of me and Master Chan, (whose name I learned of in another visit), and they sat down on the cement bench that was there.

I was back to my observations of Master Chan when I began to hear Moe speaking in loud voice;

"Look at that stupid gook what does that GD chink thinks he's doing".

Remarks like this were being lodged. When I look over at Moe he saw me looking and I guess got jealous because I had snubbed him for a China man. He got up and started walking towards me as he approached saying;

"You know, I don't think I like you. You know, I think I am going to punch you in the mouth. I AM GOING TO PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH"!

I stood up and we were face to face no more than a foot apart. The next thing was, somebody was going to hit somebody. It seemed I was going to get pummeled. In that brief moment, suddenly, I swear, a huge shiver went through Moe's body. He spit at me. I saw it hit an inch away from my foot. Still discombobulated, he walked away saying over and over;

" The next time I see you MF, I'll kill you, I'll kill you"!

Moe then went and sat down on the bench.

Stunned by this, I looked to see where Master Chan had been during this situation, he was not by the statue, but then I looked behind me to find the Master directly behind me. It did not take me long to put two and two together. He had obviously given one hell of a look at Moe, saying, if you touch him I will kick your ass. It certainly changed Moe's mind.

This reminds me of those kung fu movies where the Master saves someone by using their body to defend and then beat the bad guys.

Seeing that Moe and his pal were still setting on the bench, I thought, I better leave just in case. So I proceeded to leave by the same way Moe and his companion arrived. As I was walking down the hill I turned around and saw Master Chan with his hands on his hips watching my exit. I stopped and put my hands in the prayer salute bowing my head with my eyes still on him I nodded a thank you. Master Chan graciously said your welcome by nodding his head too.

That was my introduction to Master Chan of Boston Chinatown and the Boston Commons.

Chen Man Ching has said when one goes beyond the form in Tai Chi Chuan one is into the profound.

Such was Master Chan.

He did finally tell me he was a Tai Chi man a few years later.

In Part II, I will tell of His, "supernatural powers of the profound" he exhibited just for me.

Before you read Part II, I will leave you with this story he told me in one of many visits to him after that fateful day.

His English is poor. He said he started his training at ten years of age. And for one year his Master made him stand in the horse stance. He said to me, he still feels the anguish of that grueling workout to this day. And he said; could you imagine how a ten year old would feel with such regimen.
I can not even imagine.

Thus he became rooted to the earth. At 11 years of age He began the study of Tai Chi Chuan.

Master Chan Part II

After the first meeting I no doubt was curious to see if I could find out more about the kung fu Master who protected me on that fateful day.

After our first meeting I made it a point to get up early go to the Boston Common and see if Master Chan would be out 'playing' his kung fu

So I made many trips to see him but we rarely spoke I just wanted to observe and see if I could fathom where his kung fu was at.

I told you he told me he was a Tai Chi man but that was several years down the road before he declared that to me. But over the next few-years Master Chan graciously showed me his skills and enormous power in 3 situations that stand out in there uniqueness.

By the way, very few people ever realized they were in the presence of one of the greatest kung fu Masters and Tai Chi Masters who ever lived. I met maybe one or two regulars in the Boston Common who knew of his stature. So there have been others but not too many because by Master Chan's moves its very difficult to gauge his skill as well as what style he did. I was one of the lucky ones.
Three story's of Master Chan's kung fu prowess.

Story I:
The Oak Tree Surprise.

There are at least 3 huge oak trees located around the Navy Memorial statue where I first saw Master Chan. Their girths are at least 5 feet or more across.

Several time he showed me his great power by this method.

Everyone knows that oak is one of the hardest woods on earth. The same, can know doubt be said, for the huge rivulets of bark that encase these massive trees.

Master Chan would stand next to one of these giant oak's and with a mighty HA and His hand moving so fast, then as if a lighting bolt had struck, he ripped a solid handful of bark off that tree, then he would pause holding the chunk of bark he had rendered and gently toss it away with a look and confidence that very few mortals who ever lived could say they could do the same.

Story II:
The Trashcan Kick.

Surrounding our main location, in these story's, the Navy statue, were cement cylinders used to encase and chain galvanized trashcans. Obviously to prevent people from dumping the trash cans out.

Galvanized trash cans are hip high, the cement holder would be obvious to imagine. A huge cement cylinder, no doubt weighting several hundred pounds or more.

One morning Master Chan was doing his routine, just me and him, no other observers around, when he approached the trashcan cement holder and with that front full foot kick of His I described before, he stood there, did his, wind up in place, one body unit motion, and with a mighty HA! His foot hit the outer rim of our cement cylinder. To my astonishment I saw that cylinder raise 8 inches off the ground and come back down slamming to the earth. Master Chan then looked at me and said to me without words: "I could have tipped that cylinder over and very easily at that"! I responded with a nod of awe and the good fortune that He allowed me to get a glimpse of His power. I left in wonder once again of this kung fu Master.

BTW, if He had knocked that cement cylinder over it would have rolled down the hill causing havoc as it went. The Boston Commons no longer has these cement trash cans in use.

Story III:

Master Chan's Healing Touch.

On another early morning visit to the Boston Common I spied Master Chan. As I approached him I saw an old China man slowly walking to Master Chan. His feet were barely shuffling along, he was walking in this condition, obviously like an old man might. He and Master Chan met and began talking. Master Chan then began doing some hands on touching to this old man.He would blow his breath on the old mans arm. He also would pick new leaves off of the trees nearby and rub the leaves on the old mans arm while blowing his breath on his arm as well as intermittently talking to the old man. This went on for over 1/2hour then Master Chan was done and walked away.

The old man also began heading off. I was surprised the see the old mans feet moving much, much, much faster. Concluding Master Chan must have energized him in the methods described. My curiosity got the best of me and I approached the old man and asked him what just happened.

To my amusement and wonder he said the following:
"Master Chan greatest kung fu Master on face of earth, He can put His finger through park bench if He want, He touch me, He heal me, me barley walk, He touch me, He heal me. He not sleep with his wife for 16 years"!

The old China man said with great bemusement! Meaning to say Master Chan was a celibate.

I walked away and thought to myself OMG! that Master Chan is something else again.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Asmo

That's very interesting. Love hearing stories like this. You might want to post this on a dedicated kung fu forum (like Kung Fu Magazine's forums for instance). Might have more luck finding someone that knows him or knows of his whereabouts.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Default Does anyone on this forum live in Boston?

Does anyone on this forum live in Boston, Massachusetts?

If so, I have a request that you might help me with.

GD Y-Y
Old 12-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
OpiumKungFuCracker
Master

15 years ago I did. I wish I knew you back then. Bless your heart. What are you in need of?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpiumKungFuCracker View Post
15 years ago I did. I wish I knew you back then. Bless your heart. What are you in need of?
Hi OpiumKungFuCracker,
Thanks for asking.

I am looking for someone to go to the Boston Common in the early morning hours and see if the Great Tai Chi Master Chan is still with us.

He saved my life the first time I saw him.

His kung fu skills are to say the least supernatural.

He is beyond form with his Tai Chi.

Chen Man-Ching says when a persons Tai Chi is beyond form he or she is into the profound.

Such is Master Chan.

With his bare hands I saw him twice pull a handful size chunk of oak bark off of a huge Oak tree when extracting said chunk it sounded like a lightning bolt hit the tree.

Then he would hold it and casually throw it away.

Foolish me I wish I had pick up one of those chunks but I was in total awe of such a feat.

GD Y-Y
Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
KyFi

I'm about 45 minutes north, but sorry--I'm not going to Boston Common in the early morning hours.

Do you know what this teacher's full name is? I don't claim to be any great martial artist, but I have trained with several well-known Tai Chi teachers---the community is not that big.
KyFi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyFi View Post
I'm about 45 minutes north, but sorry--I'm not going to Boston Common in the early morning hours.

Do you know what this teacher's full name is? I don't claim to be any great martial artist, but I have trained with several well-known Tai Chi teachers---the community is not that big.
Wait tell summer........................... LOL!

This man is unknown and never taught as far as I know.

I am familiar with Master Vincent Chu and his dad Gin Soon Chu.

Vincent now teaches full time hi quality Yang Stlye Tai Chi Chuan.

http://www.gstaichi.org/english/ginSoonChu.php

As well as Donnie Yen's mom Master Bo Sim Mark.

http://www.gstaichi.org/english/ginSoonChu.php

GD Y-Y
Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
OpiumKungFuCracker
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyFi View Post

How many inches of snow are you in right now? It must be a blizzard storm going on, no?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
KyFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpiumKungFuCracker View Post
How many inches of snow are you in right now? It must be a blizzard storm going on, no?
....umm...no snow on the ground, and the sun is shining...(although it's a tad chilly).
KyFi is online now   Reply With Quote