Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
rdenn

Default unknown talent

stunteam from china

Last edited by rdenn; 05-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.
rdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
TibetanWhiteCrane
Master

Why is it that I can find 50 vids on youtube with unknowns or "amateurs" doing action choreography that is ten times better than any big HK production?

To be honest, it's getting kinda tiresome being a HK action movie fan.
TibetanWhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Drunken Monk
Master

That was awesome. The power and speed (as well as the painful landings) were all super exciting.
I agree with TWC. How are people like this being overlooked? Can you imagine how much more enjoyable the genre would be if these people were given a reasonable budget? We'd be buying films all the time!

Can we make this thread all about "unknown talent" by posting various videos of the unsung martial arts heroes of You Tube?
Drunken Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Markgway

Good stuff. Give these guys a script and a budget. The lead fighter could very well be the next Wu Jing.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
ShaOW!linDude
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Monk View Post
Can we make this thread all about "unknown talent" by posting various videos of the unsung martial arts heroes of You Tube?
Excellent idea!!! Merge this one I started last year with it and get 'em to make it a sticky!

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16610

@ TWC:
You're preaching to the choir, bro.
ShaOW!linDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
ToryK

The vid suffers a bit from "Let's all stand around while he fights us one at a time"-syndrome, but they've clearly got talent. And I think we can ALL agree that martial arts cinema would be better if someone would give hungry guys like this the money they need to do what they're so obviously good it.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Yi-Long

Like I mentioned in (I think) The Raid thread, I believe a small budget can really bring out the best of the talent when it comes to martial arts action, cause it's a genre that actually benefits from having a low budget (obviously within reason).

It means a moviemaker just has to rely on the talent he has access to, instead of filling a movie with big explosions, wirework, expensive settings, etc etc.

I honestly believe there are tens of thousands of people out there capable of doing some great on-screen martial arts action, who aren't being given a proper chance cause producers and directors are opting to put wellknown young idols and singers in lead roles, in the hope of cashing in on THOSE fanbases, instead of creating a fanbase for that movie on it's quality alone. Which, to me, seems like a cowardly way of making movies, without having any trust in yourself or the movie you're making.