BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
ToryK

SPOILERS for the first one.

I just wish they hadn't killed off Deng Chao's character, Donglai. I would have dug a spin-off movie, as he was definitely my favorite character.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
odioustrident

Just saw this. Phantom Flame is probably better written with a better realized plot... but that's about it. The production values and action in this film are a step up.. with some full length, inventive set pieces that made me think I was watching our first real successor to the good New Wave swordplays. The shots had more clarity than most of what I saw in Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, Phantom Flame and even Reign of Assassins. I hate to say it - but this is HK getting CGI pretty close to correct. The villains presented more threat this time and we even get a first class monster for the finale. Loved this movie and look forward to what Yuen Bun is involved with next.

If you ever enjoyed pure ideas in an action sequence with little display of physical talent.. give this a look.
odioustrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
kami

Sounds great, looking really forward to it. Tsui Hark is indeed the maestro of fantasy/wuxia.
kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
DiP
Master

Thanks for the mini-review, odioustrident.

Sounds like a comeback vehicle for Hark. But if anything, he's getting repetitive with his choice of movies. He's known as a versatile filmmaker but his stay in period action/wu xia movies lately has made his output quite boring to watch imo. Why not switch up and start making more moderns?
DiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
Gwai LO

Wow. I have such different taste than so many of you here. I loved the wrath of vajra and the protector 2 while most of you disliked those.. But I hated almost everything about this movie. The green lake monster had a very rubbery costume. The fights were crap and full of cgi and way to much flying about.
Gwai LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
xianzai

I quite liked it. Much better than the first, IMO. Really seemed to nail 3D as a medium, and had quite inventive set pieces.

Personally I prefer smaller-scale wuxias like Reign of Assassins, Wu Xia, or early/mid Chor Yuen films. But a popcorn spectacle movie like this is a nice change from that every once in a while.

My only real complaint is that the actor playing Dee wasn't very engaging, esp. when compared to the one playing Chief Minister Yuchi.
xianzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
BaronK

I enjoyed the movie but not the action. Very small bits and pieces were ok but much in the action sequences tended to turn me off. Wire work was extremely repetitive with the same kind of body twirling over and over. The cgi in the action or to make it 3d and the real people that become cgi people in fights, ala Blade 2/Matrix Reloaded, looked so corny and distracting. Things would be rolling along ok, then he'd do some weird cgi thing that would destroy visual flow or sense. I enjoyed much of the first one but none of the action in that one either. Action wise it felt exactly like the Dragon Gate movie. TS trying too hard to use cgi and make a 3d movie.

I enjoyed the story and characters and the action does not kill the movie for me. Fun movie.
BaronK is offline   Reply With Quote