Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
Markgway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza954 View Post
-God of Gamblers is a sentimental favorite for people who saw it when it first came out. Personally, I wouldn't include it in my top 500 films from HK, but it was huge in the 80's (throughout all of South East Asia) and the 5000 bad gambling films that came after owe it to this film.
You're probably right about nostalgia and reputation but as a film it's not even as good as Challenge of the Gamesters.

Quote:
It wasn't in my top 10, but I did vote for An Autumn's Tale in my top 20. In portraying the Chinese immigrant experience in the United States, it hits all the right cylinders. The camera work is also beautiful, especially during the wide, long shots of New York's Chinatown circa the 1980's. Chow Yun Fat and Cherie Chung are also in top form; the only two other of their works together I rate are Wild Search and the Story of Woo Viet: The Story of Woo Viet just barely missed making my list, and Wild Search made it higher on my list. Also, it's a good HK production filmed in the US. That is a feat in itself.
I haven't seen the film in years, but checking my notes I was really tough on it. I think my expectations were set high; no wonder when it received (and continues to receive) so much praise. I found it utterly ordinary, apart from the NYC setting, with dull, aloof characters. Did I care if Chow and Cherie got it on? Nope. Wild Search (a personal fave) and The Story of Woo Viet are much better.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
TibetanWhiteCrane
Master

God Of Gamblers is a stone cold HK classic, and belongs in that spot. But then again, I would also put The Last Blood in the top 10..... im probably alone on that one.

As Tears Go By... the only WKW movie I can sit through without being distracted by the lint in my navel or dozing off!

Also thought that The Big Heat should have been way higher on that list!
TibetanWhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
Markgway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibetanWhiteCrane View Post
God Of Gamblers is a stone cold HK classic, and belongs in that spot. But then again, I would also put The Last Blood in the top 10..... im probably alone on that one.
Yes... yes you are.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
TibetanWhiteCrane
Master

Yeah, I thought as much
TibetanWhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
DiP
Master

5-1: http://www.lovehkfilm.com/blog/damny...and-were-done/
DiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
Gaijin84

Maybe I missed how this worked, but how did a film from 2002 get the top spot in a list of films from the 1980s?
Gaijin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
irongut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TibetanWhiteCrane View Post
As Tears Go By... the only WKW movie I can sit through without being distracted by the lint in my navel or dozing off!
hehehehehe!

Guess Chung King express and Fallen Angels didn't make your Wong Kar Wai cut!

irongut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
Markgway

No complaints. All five are true classics.

Interesting to note that both The Killer (which should have been #1) and Peking Opera Blues received many more 1st place votes than A Better Tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
Markgway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin84 View Post
Maybe I missed how this worked, but how did a film from 2002 get the top spot in a list of films from the 1980s?
Keep reading........... it's a joke.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
Gaijin84

Ah - early April Fools
Gaijin84 is offline   Reply With Quote