You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Daigoro

Default Lone Wolf & Cub Television Series (Media Blasters)

/
Media Blasters

Lone Wolf and Cub Television Series Remastered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here i am. I thought i would take an hour out in the day to do something for the forum again. A lot of people having been waiting for the
release of the Lone Wolf and Cub Television series so i thought i would expand upon what i think about this particular release, review a
few specs and comment on the presentation as well. There seemed almost no end to the wait but finally it's here or at least it seems that way.
After the Release of the Six part Lone Wolf and Cub movie series by Animeigo people really have felt a certain hunger to see the TV series.

It has been years since the movie series was finally restored but there was always that question ''What about the Television series, the
spin off?" I want to learn more about Daigoro and Ogammi Itto... oh well, well never see it. There is that barely watchable 26-29 Disc ver
of it floating around but 78 episodes? Sheesh what's the use of even hoping.

Things change, and after that long hopeless wait at least for some it seems the "fun" is just beggining. Media blasters has begun to release
the entire (78 Episode) series, Remastered with all the bells and whistles. They have chosen to release 5 Episodes per 2 Disc Volume,
second of which (Vol. 2 Ep. 6-10) was just released (possibly still up under preorder).

Have to say i do not know much about this series although i am somewhat enthusiastic about the Movie series i do not know much about
the TV series, still im grateful. Although i have indeed enjoyed all the films up until now there has been nothing but a very rare and low grade
(worse than VHS) release of the series the circulation of which was actually so tightly nit it might as well have been non existent.

The series originally spanned 3 seasons from 1973-1976 and explores in depth as well as goes on (as in the story continues) the life and
times of both fictional characters Ogammi Itto (a former executioner for the shogunate) and his cute yet at times steely eyed son Daigoro.

Here is a clip and some screen shots i uploaded. The series looks great i do not know that this could be called trully remastered but it is
definitely above VHS. Personally not to knock Media Blasters but i thought personally that they could have color corrected this film even further
than they did. One other thing they did note before the episodes began is that the film stock was very old and they did in fact do the best they
could but there are instances of missing audio during some episodes. The series is in Full screen with removable yellow Subtitles as in
the Lone Wolf and Cub 6 Part movie series (1972-1974) released by Animeigo. There are no special features besides a few trailers.

Additional notes: First disc is DVD-9, second DVD-5 And the first 5 episodes were in fact released in Chronlogical order and they are.
“My Son and My Sword for Hire”, “Fangs of the Wolf”, “Ikkoku-Bashi Bridge”, “Highway of Assassins”, “The Lowly Maid”.

Daigoro
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
daisho2004
Master

OK I had posted a review of this series already but I decided to post it here with the new release of this series, I really hope that MB releases the entire series and doesn't stop like they did with the Zatoichi Series. And then they released it as a box set. I have no problem paying for each episode as long as they finish the entire 3yr series of this show, and BTW it was AWESOME!
Below is my review of the series but it does have a spoiler alert so read at your own risk.

Lone Wolf & Cub TV Series:

SPOILER ALERT!

OK I just finished watching the entire TV Series of "LW&C", it was the Greatest Series that I've ever watch. My question to you is at the very end of the movie when Daigoro kills Retsudo he holds him and calls him Grandson. I was like WOW, I also have the entire Comic Book Series and I've only read 2 volumes so far but I had to look at the last volume and see the difference in the endings, and it was almost the same thing in Retsudo final words he said "Grandson of my Heart", did I miss anything here? That wasn't his grandfather was it? Maybe you might have the answer to it. In the end it kinda made you feel sad because now Daigoro was all alone, but throughout the series he was being prepared for this day. I just didn't think it was going to end the way it did. I wouldn't exactly call it a Happy Ending. I would've still loved to have seen Wakayama Tomisaburo in the TV Series.
But Nakamura did an Excellent job, at times watching his Sword Fighting skills I was like OK not bad but at other times I was amazed at the skill he had. This is a must own TV series.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
oldeschool17

what number did MB stop on the tv series for Zatoichi? Meh, i'll be patient and wait for all of these to be boxed. If they are releasing it in 5ep batches thats almost 16 volumes which could easily be over $240.

Edit: looks like they stopped at ep26 for zatoichi
oldeschool17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
daisho2004
Master

oldeschool17: yes they did stop at episode #26 and it was released as a box set a few months ago for a fraction of what the individual DVDs cost. I was pissed off, I'll tell you that, that is why I'm gonna wait for the entire LW&C TV series to be released to see if they put it in a box set also.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
oldeschool17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisho2004 View Post
oldeschool17: yes they did stop at episode #26 and it was released as a box set a few months ago for a fraction of what the individual DVDs cost. I was pissed off, I'll tell you that, that is why I'm gonna wait for the entire LW&C TV series to be released to see if they put it in a box set also.
Did MB say they will no longer continue with the Zatoichi tv series or does the fact that there are 2 boxed sets of their current releases indicate they will no longer release any more of the tv series?
oldeschool17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
daisho2004
Master

I thought someone said it was due to poor sales, I tried to email them but couldn't get through. Really was disappoint with that, look at the "Shadow Warriors" box set only season 1 was released.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
venoms5
Master

I've heard a piece of that opening music on another movie somewhere before used as a closing theme; a kung fu movie, too I think. I'll have to pick this up if it's anything like the movies. I have the LW&C box set of the movies(unopened!). I've seen three of the films before. Sales would be the reason why they're not going all out on restoration. So the ZATOICHI TV show box set is the complete run or just 26 shows?

I'm sure BCI will release another KAGE series should it come out in Japan first as there's nothing they've released that hasn't already had a release somewhere else in the world. I've yet to see them release something that they've actually restored themselves. The KAGE series and YAGYU shows would be great to see gain a legit release here as they have new digital transfers for both which have played on Japanese television recently.
venoms5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
daisho2004
Master

venoms5: No The "Zatoichi TV Series" is only the 26 shows.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
venoms5
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisho2004 View Post
venoms5: No The "Zatoichi TV Series" is only the 26 shows.
Oh, what a shame. Even if the series was sort of the same as the movies, it was cool to see more of Katsu. There was a hundred episodes, right?
venoms5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
daisho2004
Master

Yes that is what really pissed me off I wish they would've just finished the entire series and sold it as a box set.