Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
masterofoneinchpunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Patriot View Post
Just ordered them today. Lots of new bonus material, including audio commentaries for all three films. Looking forward to receiving them! :)
Has anyone bought the new Hitchcock box set? I've been hearing that there has been tons of technical issues with it.

On a side note, watched Stage Fright for the first time this weekend. A bit dissapointing unfortunately. Not a strong plot but looks nice though.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #22
Alex

i have the boxset, haven't seen anything wrong with it so far
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
masterofoneinchpunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
i have the boxset, haven't seen anything wrong with it so far
Cool. I'm going to wait a little longer before getting it. The reviews of the tech problems on Amazon have been quite interesting. Luckily I have the Criterion box set of Hitch, but there are still a few films on there that I want to get.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #24
ministry88

Ah LIFEBOAT. I feel funny about that film, but not for reasons you'd think. In fact, I haven't seen it (not a HUGE Hitchcock fan, but I love PSYCHO and REAR WINDOW and VERTIGO).

BUT I read a great anecdote about the filming in an old issue of Video Watchdog (specifically, in the interview with Norman Lloyd in issue #73). Anyway, it goes something like this:

In a scene involving actress Tallulah Bankhead, it became immediately apparent to the cast and crew (especially the MALE cast and crew) that she wasn't wearing any panties! Now of course Hitch, being the unparalleled observer of human nature that he was, immediately seized on this as an opportunity for some fun. Obviously he couldn't use that take because of the nudity. BUT instead of immediately instructing her to put on some undies, he decided to have some fun and shoot TAKE AFTER TAKE of that scene, showing her goods to all the fellas on the set! She must not have realized she didn't have underwear on or something as she was utterly professional. Soon word spread very quickly around the set (AND the Fox lot!) and ALL the male stage hands and lot workers seemed to be on set watching and trying their best to contain themselves.

Finally news of this made it to production executive Darryl Zanuck because so many man hours were WASTED on this hormonal spectacle. Zanuck finally told his assistant Lew Schreiber to tell Hitch to tell Tallulah to put on some panties for chrissake. But NOT without one last bon mot morsel from Hitch. When Schreiber finally summoned the courage to tell Hitch about the problem, Hitch responded: "I don't know whether this problem properly belongs in the makeup, wardrobe, or HAIR-DRESSING department."

Absolutely classic XD
ministry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #25
Markgway

Beware the Legacy edition of VERTIGO.

According to The Digital Bits the mono track that was on the Masterpiece edition has been replaced by a 2.0 downmix of the 5.1 remix.

Ugh!

I hope Universal fix this before any Blu-Ray comes out.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #26
venoms5
Master

I have these three all unopened...

LIFEBOAT
ROPE
FRENZY (first R rated Hitch)

Never been a huge fan of his movies, but I respect his longevity and classy directing style. Only seen PSYCHO from beginning to end, but seen bits & pieces of others. I imagine once I get around to watching these three, I will most likely be intrigued enough to see others.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #27
teako170
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoms5 View Post
Never been a huge fan of his movies, but I respect his longevity and classy directing style. Only seen PSYCHO from beginning to end, but seen bits & pieces of others. I imagine once I get around to watching these three, I will most likely be intrigued enough to see others.
Just revisited this thread as I watched DOWNHILL the other night.
(For the completist, otherwise skip it.)
You should definitely try to explore some of his films V5.
I feel you might enjoy them considering your wide appreciation for the cinema.

Now, all that's left is WALTZES FROM VIENNA.
Believe I saw this some years back on tape but not 100%.
Then, there will no more new Hitch to watch. Sigh...

I plan to visit LA at the end of the summer and visit some grave sites (Buster Keaton, Jimmy Stewart)
Just read that Hitch's ashes were scattered over the Pacific.
Would liked to have been able to go to his grave but alas, not to be.
teako170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #28
KyFi

Big Hitchcock fan. I just saw The Birds recently on the big screen, and I'm always blown away by that shot, just after the gas station explosion, where we see the fire in the town from way up in the sky, and then the birds come into the frame---The completely masterful way he showed that the birds weren't just attacking a couple of random people, but were actually a threat to human civilization. Awesome.

I own Rear Window, North by Northwest and The Man Who Knew Too Much (56), and ones that I love and plan to get are Psycho, Saboteur(love that Statue of Liberty climax), The Birds, Vertigo and Rope. I've seen maybe 4 or 5 others, and still have to explore the rest.
KyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #29
teako170
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyFi View Post
Saboteur(love that Statue of Liberty climax)
Niiiiice choice.. ("The sleeve...!")
That scene inspired my opening sequence for one of my scripts:
http://www.teako170.com/page1.html

Loved Priscilla Lane in this film. Heard Barbara Stanwyck was to be cast in this spot and, while BS is one of my fave actresses, I'm glad PL got the gig. Too bad she didn't do many more films afterwards. Read she got hitched a few months after shooting this film to a USAF Colonel and lived happily ever after....
teako170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #30
KyFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teako170 View Post
Niiiiice choice.. ("The sleeve...!")
That scene inspired my opening sequence for one of my scripts:
http://www.teako170.com/page1.html

Loved Priscilla Lane in this film. Heard Barbara Stanwyck was to be cast in this spot and, while BS is one of my fave actresses, I'm glad PL got the gig. Too bad she didn't do many more films afterwards. Read she got hitched a few months after shooting this film to a USAF Colonel and lived happily ever after....
Your script has a great opening! That's right---I had forgotten that specific bit. I think it's probably been 7 or 8 years since I've seen it. I just remembered that I really liked it.
KyFi is offline   Reply With Quote