BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
shaolindogpaw

Default Anyone have info on Korea?

I'm just getting into Korean culture, language, and history. Are there any good movies out there relating to Korean history, recent or ancient? I'm looking for movies that are like how Drunken Master is to Cantonese history.

Also, any good web resources about Korean culture or history?
shaolindogpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Grady-San

Not sure if this is up your ally, but check it out. Its a great website for the genre of Korean Films etc..

http://www.koreanfilm.org/
Grady-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
oldeschool17

Cant really help you out on cultural movies but my wife and her mother are Korean. Anything specific you want to know, just ask and I can relay it to them. She and her mother were just in Jeju Island and Seoul over the summer. Here's a lil collage of where they were(not including pics of Seoul since my wife didnt bother taking pics of the city as she's been there several times). If you want to submerge yourself into Korean culture, then get the Korean channel on thru your cable provider. My mother in law watches that on a daily and loves her melodramas/soap operas.
oldeschool17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
One Armed Boxer

Oldeschool17...I'm travelling to Korea from 17th November - 2nd December cos its always been a country I've wanted to visit. Does your wife know of any places that are worth visiting that wouldn't be mentioned in the usual tourist guides, or any that are for that matter but really stand out?

Any suggestions would be welcome!
One Armed Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
oldeschool17

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Armed Boxer View Post
Oldeschool17...I'm travelling to Korea from 17th November - 2nd December cos its always been a country I've wanted to visit. Does your wife know of any places that are worth visiting that wouldn't be mentioned in the usual tourist guides, or any that are for that matter but really stand out?

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Well she said that her aunt who lives in Seoul always took them around to various places, so she's not the best at telling specific places nor does she remember their names. However, she said that anywhere you go in Seoul is pretty touristy so be prepared to be rubbing elbows with alot of people. She was telling me that the people can be a bit rude(in the States people will have the general courteousy to say excuse me if they are moving around somebody.. but in Korea, they will just cut you off) and my wife yelled at a few people who looked at her like she was out of her mind. As far as food is concerned, she said to go to places where there are alot of people. The food is top notch so I highly doubt you will be dissapointed in that regards. Theres suppose to be an area in Seoul where there is late night shopping that draws out a huge crowd and apparently you can get some good deals. I'll get more details on that and post back when she can tell me specifically where they are.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
One Armed Boxer

Cheers mate...appreciated! Look forward to hearing more!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
oldeschool17

One Armed Boxer-
Check out Dongdaemun Market when you are there. Its open 24hrs and its suppose to be massive. For us men, we would be lost in a sea of fashion, but if you are with your wife/girlfriend, then their shopping radar should kick and help navigate you thru the intense shopping frenzy. I'll report back for some more stuff later on. Have you had any experience with Korean food?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
One Armed Boxer

oldeschool17...no I won't be getting assisted by a wife or girlfriend (although I see that as a good thing :-P) so I'll have to use my own instincts to shop my way around! I'm going more to see the natural sights than to shop, although I'll definitely check out that market...it sounds a lot like Chatuchak market in Bangkok which I've been to, and is apparently the largest in the world!

Haven't really had any experience of Korean food, although as long as it doesn't involve live octopus eating I'm game for anything!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
oldeschool17

One Armed Boxer-
Hah, yeah i know whatcha mean on the live octopus. In regards to food, there's lot to choose from and you can probably get a heads up on what you may like by checking out this page:
http://www.lifeinkorea.com/Food/menu.cfm

I personally like eating bar b q'd meats, spicy tofu soups, and noodle dish/soups. Be aware that some of the soups/noodle dishes are cold. I remember the first time my wife took me to a korean restaurant, she ordered me soup that was cold and it threw me off. Of course, now I am more acceptant of it but never the less it was a funny lesson learned.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
One Armed Boxer

Oldeschool17 - now you mention it I did actually go to a Korean BBQ restaurant when I lived in Sydney...for some reason it had completely escaped my mind but it was a really nice place, you had to sit on the floor and there was a stove in the middle of the table where you cooked the meat yourself. Great little place and it was kinda fun cooking your own food, best not to consume too much beer though until you've finished eating for health and safety reasons!

Cheers for the info though, good website as well! On a related funny food story, when I was in the Philippines a friend gave me an egg to try which he said was called 'balut'...I'm all for a nice boiled egg but as I took off the shell I actually found a duck embryo inside...which to my horror I discovered was supposed to be there! Apparently they eat them as snack over there with vinegar, but I decided to pass....