Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #81
Fist Of Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Why was my thread moved here? This post is just going to get lost maybe garnering a couple of responses whereas a thread would keep all the discussion on this subject together
Moderators do it sometimes also when start subject of film which done before...nothing wrong in that methinks
Fist Of Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #82
blue_skies
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist Of Boss View Post
Moderators do it sometimes also when start subject of film which done before...nothing wrong in that methinks
Yes exactly I have no problem with that but mine was a separate subject to this thread. I was asking what are the most likely titles to appear in the future that haven't already been announced. Having already changed pages any potential responses are already diminished as It's not even on the last page any more .

Last edited by blue_skies; 11-18-2011 at 12:37 PM.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #83
masterofoneinchpunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist Of Boss View Post
I cannot fully understand some r1 guys waiting certain movie(ok, dubsters maybe).If you already have IVL, getting bit improved r1 release hardly such a big deal...But if not own any release why torture himself waiting for r1 when there is r3 available?
Magnificent ruffians is magnificent indeed although i wonder why the hell they rejected girls helping them on baht
Well some just have an R1 (non-hackable) player and/or will not do too much online buying. For late buyers sometimes the IVL gets harder to get.

Myself I just have so much to watch (I study film in general so I have a gargantuan amount of movies) and haven't bought an all-region player so I just keep track of the R1 releases, plus I'm just interested to see what is sold here in the states.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #84
nectarsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofoneinchpunch View Post
Well some just have an R1 (non-hackable) player and/or will not do too much online buying. For late buyers sometimes the IVL gets harder to get.

Add to that...NOT buying the R1 releases will lead to bad slaes totals, which in turn leads to less R1's being released at all.

Fans have to show support, or the releases will just dry up :|
nectarsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #85
masterofoneinchpunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarsis View Post
Add to that...NOT buying the R1 releases will lead to bad slaes totals, which in turn leads to less R1's being released at all.

Fans have to show support, or the releases will just dry up :|
Well I do show my support by buying them all :).

I'll add another small point: I also try to lend movies out and most everyone I know has only R1 players. I get quite a bit of joy of having positive reviews on Heroes of the East (both parents liked this one), The One-Armed Swordsman, etc... Spreading the word is good.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #86
blue_skies
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofoneinchpunch View Post
Well I do show my support by buying them all :).

I'll add another small point: I also try to lend movies out and most everyone I know has only R1 players. I get quite a bit of joy of having positive reviews on Heroes of the East (both parents liked this one), The One-Armed Swordsman, etc... Spreading the word is good.
See that's a problem for me with no one I know really interested in martial arts movies besides my mum who's really the only person who borrows my DVDs any more. Obviously being from the UK and having a multi-region player a lot of titles I have are region 1/3 which stops most people without access. I know a lot of these region 1 Shaw Brother movies have dubs but many movies don't(especially new region two releases) which has been a hindrance in the past, no matter how much you rave about particular film.

Another problem I've discovered is that I've become reluctant to lend discs when people don't look after them, returning them scratched/mark/smudged with fingerprints, cases broken or you never see them again. I take a great deal of effort to keep the disks clean and don't think it's too much effort for people to look after things that don't belong to them.

I do however try to spread the word on other forums as others have recommended titles to me I try to recommend movies to others, but often people are not enthusiastic enough in the genre to look into titles that aren't available outside of the UK.

I think one of the best things people could do to spread the word to those interested is creating reviews on places like Amazon, particularly on the UK site where a lot of these movies have very few reviews
Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #87
Fist Of Boss

I already own almost all shaw sword and kung fu movies but if american buyer and particularly if money tight and seeing items have forked out cash separately see in bargain packs, it would be fist to the wall time:(.
Fist Of Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #88
shaolinkng7

Default What????????????

Every few months I check this thread to see if there are any new releases. Right now it seems that there are only 2 new releases in 2012, both from Well Go, and none of them my personal favorite Shaws I have been waiting for.

I see that Well Go has released Duel of Fists. I remember buying this one decades ago on VHS from Southgate mistakenly thinking it was Duel of the Iron Fist ( World Northal's US release title for The Duel, and one of the movies that got multiple airings on Black Belt Theater ). It turned out to be a different film when I got it home, but from the same director and with the same cast. I later realized that it was the first part of two films, the second being Angry Guest. While Duel of Fists was never shown on Black Belt Theater, Angry Guest was under World Northal's US release title Kung Fu Killers. Who knows why World Northal would syndicate the sequel and not the first film. The only notable thing about Angry Guest is that Chang Cheh cast himself as the big crime boss. Otherwise it is 20 minutes of actual plot and fights, and another 70 minutes of some of the worst padding I have ever seen in any HK film. Who could forget that gripping scene done in a long shot where we follow the car that Ti Lung and David Chiang are sitting in up and around a highway onramp for a good two minutes.

I am assuming that Duel of Fist and Angry Guest must have been shot simultaneously, and was possibly originally planned as a single feature before being split up and padded out into two separate features. Duel of Fist had far less padding, and was clearly the superior film. In brief, the plot had David Chiang going to Thailand at the request of his dying father to locate his half brother. David's half brother ( Ti Lung ) turns out to be a Thai Boxer, and from there the film goes into a typical tournament film with a crooked promoter.

Now for the WTF.

First off, Amazon lists this movie as Mandarin only. As I had said, Southgate released this film on VHS, and it was dubbed in English.
Second, Well Go is releasing this film as part of their Sword Masters series.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall anyone in this movie picking up any swords. Possibly some hoods may have been armed with a knife or machete, but both David Chiang and Ti Lung portray characters who practice unarmed martial arts.

Last edited by shaolinkng7; 04-24-2012 at 05:37 AM.
shaolinkng7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #89
masterofoneinchpunch

Well there are a couple of combo versions that have come out this year as well.

I was hoping Brave Archer 2 would come out this year. Amazon still has it as a pre-order with no defined date. However, recent emails from a member on this board seem to state that they are not putting any Shaws out.

Ha, ha "Sword Masters". I think they just got lazy with the cover on that one. Now the Well Go site link states that it will have the English dub as well.

Does anyone know if any retailers are selling Duel of Fists or Swordsman & Enchantress?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #90
nectarsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinkng7 View Post
Second, Well Go is releasing this film as part of their Sword Masters series.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

I may be mistaken, but I do not recall anyone in this movie picking up any swords. Possibly some hoods may have been armed with a knife or machete, but both David Chiang and Ti Lung portray characters who practice unarmed martial arts.
Well to be fair isn't that Well Go's asian cinema line "label?" You can't expect them to change it for every release.
nectarsis is offline   Reply With Quote